Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer escape

Recently, when Aubrie over at Flutey Words asked if anyone wanted to review Jester’s Folly, the latest in her Carnival of Illusions series, I happily volunteered and ended up not only having the pleasure of reviewing that story, but also the first two entries in the series Seer’s Destiny and Chameleon’s Colors.

The series is a bright, breezy read that I enjoyed very much, a tour through a vibrant world where young women like Vira, Kaylee, and Mina, young women tormented and blessed by their unique circumstances confront issues of choice/decisions and their costs/consequences. Aubrie creates likeable characters in these young women, and asks the question: Is fate inevitable or can these young women face their fears and their mistakes to create their own fate?

The first two entries in the series have more of a fantasy element; Jester’s Choice a more straightforward tale of a young woman tormented by a mistake in her past. All three entries are tied together by the strong description and vivid imagery and relationships of the Masquerade Carnival, the world Aubrie brings to life.

If you get a chance to visit, I think you’ll enjoy the journey.

8 comments:

  1. Hope your summer is progressing nicely. You seem to have faded into the sunset recently so I'm assuming you're enjoying yourself. I posted my scene with Genna & Tony yesterday if you missed it. I'm leaving for vaca- Fri. morning so I wanted you to see it before I took it down. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you for the wonderful reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of characters taking fate into their own hands and trying to reshape it. So much of the reader's interest and sympathy are vested in the outcome. Jester's Choice sounds great for the beach tote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrie rocks so I'll definitely be over there to check it out when I have a free moment!!! I hope all else is well in your neck of the woods!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Jester's Folly and I completely agree! haven't gotten to the next two in the series yet but I'm looking forward to them. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the rec. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this! I love to read new things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up Sarahj; I'll be sure to visit.

    ..........dhole

    ReplyDelete