Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fear of Writing

This is the second part of what will hopefully be a nine-part entry in the River of Mnemosyne challenge that’s going on over at The Tenth Daughter of Memory.

I’ve lived my life in limbo, ping-ponging between my myriad fears, paralyzed. At this point in time, I cling to the hope that I am more than the sum of my all of my fears, that in my roles of wife, mother, teacher, friend, I have faced, challenged, surmounted them all and reached some sort of state of grace on the other side.

I know this not to be true, yet I cling to that belief with more tenacity that I cling to all others.

If I persevere all will be well, and I will be happy. Such are dreams and illusions, hopes and hallucinations.

Between the twin torrents of my fears of failure and success lies the desert of my fear that no matter what, I am just not good enough, and that sooner or later I will be exposed as the fraud and charlatan that I am.

And between the lines of fear and blame, I wonder just how much or how long I’m doomed to repeat my mistakes.

I self-identify in the following ways: wife, mother, teacher, friend, writer. It’s telling, I think, that it is only as the last one that I see the real me. No hats, no masks, no personas or preconceptions.

I am terrified of writing. It guts me, hollows me out, when the words cut loose and pour out, cascading like they’ll never stop. Because it’s me, distilled and unedited, my self created and expressed in ways and words no one else has.

When they slide under my skin and burrow into my brain, and slash and claw but won’t come out. When they don’t come out, I am terrified of not writing. Of not being able to write.

Because if the words don’t come out, if I can’t call them, birth them, if they don’t exist, who am I?

I use words for a living. They are my tools, my weapons, and my stock in trade. I stand in front of a high school classroom of children, an average of thirty a class, a hundred a day, and spray them, sometimes scattershot, to educate, to entertain, to enlighten. After more than a decade I am comfortable in front of a classroom. I slide into teacher; put on my persona, and like an actor, the show goes on.

For over a quarter of a century I have been a wife and mother. My words have whispered my love and comfort; have created laughter and dried tears. My words have met needs; been consumed and subsumed and I see my words in my children, in my life.

But spoken words are fleeting. Written words bleed; into your soul, out through your fingers, onto a piece of paper or a blank screen and they are forever. They burn and writhe, but you can hold them, shape them, and they are you.

Sharp edged like a razor or serrated, jagged and slashing, they ghost along neural pathways, ghost in the walls, whisper in the silence and the shadows. Swirling in the obscure mist of memory, just out of reach, they murmur in the dark about love, and hope and dreams. When I fear I’ve forgotten how to dream, when I fear I can’t find the words when I really need them, they break in a wave, tidal, dragging me in and pulling me under.

And sometimes, when they run endlessly, bitter and acid, dripping with venom or dancing with joy, my head hurts from all the words; from the lack of sleep, the lack of sanity they bring me.

I’ve stood in the doorways of my children’s bedrooms and watched them sleep, listened to the soft whisper of their breathing. I counted my blessings, counted myself lucky. And later, wrapped up in the heft and the weight of the moment as the silence and the dark congeal around me, my eyes adjust to the backlit glow of a blank screen and I wait, listen for the rhythm of the words.

Sometimes I can’t quite remember, can’t quite put the pieces of the puzzle together. Everything is locked up in memory.

But I face my fear and dream, and something deep inside shifts, raw and sharp and clear as crystal, unlocks the memory, and the words flow, collide, ignite.

And I write.

8 comments:

  1. Another revealing and well written entry

    Something that strikes me is how in tune you are with what's inside and how eloquently you're able to share it. I had a writing instructor who emphasized that writing from deep inside, staring down your worst fears, resulted in the. strongest writing.

    Your last two entries have proven her to be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I loved this piece and the effect it had on me...

    It's you - distilled and refined and burning brightly.

    I've often commented on the cinematic quality of your words, but here they were more like music.

    Never fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah, I read the graduation piece and this piece @6:30 this morning (Weds.) and I told you I'd cry. I was blinded by tears during the grad piece. I could see me and Bridget 15 years from now.

    And you as writer, well, just wrench my heart out of my chest some more why don't you.

    Written words bleed. That is so....I don't even have words to describe it. You will go on to do great things Sarah Jayne, of that I have no doubt.

    And yes, I'm feeling much better today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I could have sworn I wrote a reply for you guys last night and now it’s not here. Which is really sad because it was really brilliant. :) Oh, well, let’s try it again.

    Hey, Eva.

    Something that strikes me is how in tune you are with what's inside and how eloquently you're able to share it. I had a writing instructor who emphasized that writing from deep inside, staring down your worst fears, resulted in the. strongest writing.

    I know you’ve told me this before, but this is the first time I’ve truly felt the weight of these words. Writing these linked short stories has made me cry and have to walk away from the computer because I couldn’t breathe. Not a usual reaction for me when writing.

    Hi, Nym.

    As usual you are far too kind to me.

    I've often commented on the cinematic quality of your words, but here they were more like music.

    Yes, we have had the Impressionist phase of my writing discussion, but I am thrilled you think it’s moved to the level of music. I’m actually honored that you think that.

    Hi, PW.

    Hey Sarah, I read the graduation piece and this piece @6:30 this morning (Weds.) and I told you I'd cry. I was blinded by tears during the grad piece. I could see me and Bridget 15 years from now.

    I’m thrilled you cried. Well not that you cried but that see something that moved you in my words. Thank you for that. And I’m happy you could see yourself and your little girl.

    Written words bleed. That is so....I don't even have words to describe it. You will go on to do great things Sarah Jayne, of that I have no doubt.

    You too are far too kind to me. Thank you so much. I’m not too sure about the whole great things part, but one can only hope.

    And yes, I’m feeling much better today, thank you.

    I’m so glad. I was worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Glad you do, because you should!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amy. Coming from you, someone who's work I admire greatly, that's high praise and encouragement indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice second edition. your writing is powerful.

    Mad Hatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Nessa. Thank you for reading and saying so. :)

    ReplyDelete